Monday, January 10, 2011

Making Your Home Sing Monday - A Book Review!

Making your home sing Mondays
Yea!! Nan is back! That means Making Your Home Sing Monday is back too! Please lift her up in your prayers, kids - she's hurt her back and is still in some pain. Praying for a quick recovery for you, friend!!

If you want to learn more about Making Your Home Sing or if you would like to join in the link-up, visit Nan over at Mom's The Word to find out more about it!

**********************************************************************************
I don't do a whole lot of book reviews. I don't do a whole lot of reviews, period. There's a reason for that - if I don't really REALLY like or believe in something, I am not going to tell anyone they need to "rush out and get it". Just not my thing.

But there's this book . . .
It's amazing.
It has changed the way I look at housecleaning.
The name of the book is:
Just Clean Enough
By. I.B. Caruso and Jenny Schroedel

The book doesn't preach at you.
It doesn't tell you you you're wrong.
It doesn't even tell you you have to do 50,000 things at once to "get organized".
It goes through 365 days - that's one year - worth of "tasks" that you can do to help get your home where you want it to be.
Here's the secret to this book - you DON'T have to do things in order.
You can go room by room, day by day, week by week.
OR
You can search through the book for a task that takes 5, 10, 15, 20, or 30+ minutes, depending on how much time you have.
OR
You can just pick something at random!

And the tasks aren't hard or time consuming. Most of them don't take any longer than 10 minutes.
Like decluttering bath products in the bathroom.
Or picking up all your shoes in your bedroom.
Or polishing your kitchen table.

Some of these are things I do frequently, but some are things I never thought about!
For example:
washing the shower curtain
decorating the laundry room
putting a bulletin board in the living room

There are some wonderful ideas in this book. And I am going to do most of them (we don't have a basement or a huge attic like some of my northern friends might have).
I encourage you to check this book out. It's not about perfection, but about getting your home Just Clean Enough!



9 comments:

Michelle said...

Sounds like my kind of book.

Kmama said...

Interesting. Isn't it funny how we should think about those things, but unless they're pointed out to us, we never think of them?

SuperMom Blues said...

Michelle - I've done three things in the book already and just got it Saturday! I love it!!!

SuperMom Blues said...

Kmama - I know, right! LOL

Kate Pantier @ Mommy Monologues said...

Sounds like a good book!

I'm stopping by from April Showers. I've been stalking the design contest and I saw that you voted for mine. Thank you so much!!!

I'm a new follower!

Ashley Marie said...

THat sounds awesome! I love a clean house but I hate when people obsese over it :) Visiting from SITS.

momstheword said...

Thank you, my dear! Fortunately the pain pills are helping a lot, I just must not overdo.

This sounds like a fun book. I'll have to see if I can find it at the local library.

I am a big fan of doing a little at a time. My hubby prefers doing big blocks of time for projects. However, he finds it hard to find big blocks of time so he finds that frustrating.

I use little minutes here and there and get lots done! I can't wait to read the book, thanks for the review and thanks for linking up to Making Your Home Sing Monday!

Unknown said...

Sounds a very useful book for busy mums (and perhaps a few dads too, in the interests of equality).

The Bama Gardener said...

Sounds like something I could get on board with!

Yea, the more people I talk to, it seems my Fuji may have been a little off. Never heard of a johnagold apple...I'll have to try it!