Saturday, May 24, 2008

We're KILLING our children!!

I just got off the phone with my mom. She went to my brother in laws the other day to see the kids. This was after school on a Tuesday or Wednesday. At three o'clock in the afternoon, my niece and nephew were both sitting at the table eating full bowls of MACARONI AND CHEESE WITH SMOKED SAUSAGE as a SNACK!!! And we ain't talkin' small bowls here, kids! My niece is in KINDERGARTEN!!!!! My nephew is in SECOND GRADE!! What in the WORLD is their momma thinking??? That was a snack, know what they were going to have for dinner? Spaghetti and meatballs! I was in awe.

The sad thing is, though, this is the NORM for today's society! I asked a few of my good friends on cafe mom what they fed their children for snacks and I got everything from mac and cheese to pizza!! No WONDER our children are the fattest kids on the planet!

Now, I admit, my kid is overweight. And I take FULL responsibility for that. She's an indoor baby. She loves to watch TV and doesn't get much active time. That is ENTIRELY my fault. BUT she doesn't eat a bowl of macaroni and cheese for snack!! She eats VERY healthy - low fat dairy products, whole grains, fresh or frozen fruits and veggies (well, the ones I can get down her). We rarely have cookies, cakes, pies, cupcakes, brownies, or candy in the house. (that's cause I would eat them all, HA!) But she's just not that active. Again - that's MY fault b/c I am not that active. There's also the fact that I don't feel comfortable with her going out side by herself to play, and I don't feel comfortable taking Jacob outside yet. I need to get over that, b/c she needs to get outside, and so does Jake and so do I for that matter . . .

But I digress . . .

The fact is, we live in a technological age. EVERYTHING is computerized, televised, IPodd'd, YouTube'd, MySpace'd. blogged, or e-booked. EVEN SPORTS, thanks to Nintendo!! But the sad thing is that the technology we so strive for is killing us! We spend hours upon hours in front of a TV or computer screen and wonder how we got to 200 pounds. We forget to go play catch with our kids in the backyard and wonder why our FIVE year old is 70 pounds! I guess it's up to us to make a decision that could impact the world. Get away from the computer, the TV, the PSP, the Walkman, the TIVO or WHATEVER and GO PLAY WITH YOUR KIDS!! Don't have any? Go borrow some! I'm sure you know a mom or two that will HAPPILY lend you theirs for an hour or two!

As for me? I'm going to go play with my children and my husband in the backyard until bedtime!!

No comments: