Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Making Your Home Sing Monday: Turn Off The TV!

I'm a day late! But at least I got it posted, right? 

Hey there everyone! It's Monday again (not anymore)! You know what that means: I'm linking up with my wonderful bloggy friend Nan over at Mom's The Word for her weekly link-up Making Your Home Sing Monday! Wanna know more? Go check it out and link up!

Hello. My name is Jen. And I am a TV addict.
So is my husband.
So are my children.
And let's not get started on video games.
We are a total gaming family.
But there's a problem with that.
We spend so much time in front of the TV having "screen time" that we don't really interact with each other much. We don't have dinner at the table. We don't play board games. We don't have very many meaningful, in depth conversations with our children, either.
This is a problem.
So this week, I am going to propose something that I have a feeling my family isn't going to love.
This week, we are going to turn the TV off.
Not completely mind you - my husband would NOT go for that. Rather, we will have the TV off from the time the kids get out of school until after dinner is cleaned up.
As for me, I will allow myself an hour of "screen time" a day.
Rather than watching TV, in the afternoons we will listen to music, play games, talk, the kids and the hubby will help with dinner/setting the table, etc.
My hope is that this will help my family get to know each other a little better.
Pray for us . . . This should get interesting.

1 comment:

momstheword said...

This is awesome! Good for you! Dinner time together at the table is especially important to the family!

When my kids were young we limited electronics too. They were allowed 30 minutes on the computer, every other day. When they got older we allowed them to go on every day but still with a time limit.

There was a time when we turned the t.v. off at 4:00 and it didn't go on again until after they were in bed (hubby wanted to watch his news, lol!).

We didn't do it forever, but during that time we played lots of games and just hung out and talked. Eventually we allowed the t.v. back in again, but still with some boundaries.

We just wanted them to learn some boundaries and build relationships, just as you are doing!

Thanks so much for linking up to Making Your Home Sing Monday today, my friend! I'm so happy to have you back!!!