Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Hi, I'm Jen. And I'm a Hoarder ...

I never wanted to admit it.
I fought it for years, but it's time to finally come clean.
I am a hoarder.

Papers, books, clothes ... You name it.
But the problem is, I hoard other people's things rather than my own.
When it comes to my stuff, I have no problem getting rid of it.
When it comes to other people's stuff, however ...

I have to come to the realization that I am not responsible for someone else's memories.
They're not MY memories, they're THEIR memories.
I had nothing to do with that statuette or that book or that slip of paper. It's not my problem, and it shouldn't be.

Another issue I have is that I can't seem to throw away papers.
WHY?? Most of these I'll never use again.
Manuals - you can find copies of almost every one of them online.
Bills - you only need one copy of each bill until you pay it ... Then it's time to chunk it.
Kids' art - I have a photo album for those.
Movies, games, books ... - If I'm never going to read, play or watch them, why keep them?

It's a process. It's a huge process.
I can say I AM getting better.
Hopefully it will continue to improve as time goes on ...

2 comments:

AiringMyLaundry said...

I have the same problem. I save too much. I'm also working on it.

Corinna said...

This is the year to declutter!