Thursday, April 5, 2012

Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes . . .

Wow, has it really been since JANUARY since I blogged last? Wow! Of course, it's really no surprise, what with everything that's been going on the last few months!

There have been a lot of changes going on in our lives. A. Lot.

First off, we have started some changes with my daughter. Little Miss has been diagnosed with ADHD/ODD and dysgraphia. In a nutshell, she's hyper, has a hard time focusing, doesn't do well with authority, and has REALLY bad handwriting. In the complex, her mind doesn't work the way it should, and she knows it, so she gets frustrated and angry with the world. Her hyperactivity affects her handwriting, and her frustration with that causes her to lash out at those she's closest too - namely me and her teachers.

After much prayer and discussion, we decided (my husband, Little Miss, and I together) to try medication. Since spring break, Little Miss has been on Vyvanse. This was not a choice that we took lightly. It involved MONTHS of research and other interventions to come to that choice. And I am so glad we did. Little Miss has improved by leaps and bounds on this medication. In her words: "I don't feel like I have to jump up and down all the time". As a result, her frustration level has diminished, and as a result of THAT, her behavior has improved. My daughter went from a straight c report card (with one failing grade) to A's, B's and C's. Needless to say, I am now a complete advocate on medication when it's warranted (**NOTE: Medication is NOT right for EVERY child/family. PLEASE do extensive research on your available options and work directly with your pediatrician before making decisions on something like that**).

The next big change we made also involved Little Miss. Because of her problems with encopresis and constipation (even on an adult dose of Miralax a day) we decided to try some dietary changes. Specifically, we have gone low-gluten. While we did have tests run and Little Miss does NOT have Celiac Disease, it's possible that a gluten sensitivity could be causing her issues.

The final, and biggest change (for me, anyway) is that I started my own business. I am now a full-on Mary Kay Independent Beauty Consultant! It's an exciting change for me for many reasons, but the main reason for me is that I now am able to supplement my family's income while still being able to be at home with Little Man and being able to be available in case Little Miss and Big Guy need me. There's also the fact that I'm having a blast. I love skin care and makeup, so this is right up my ally!

With all the changes taking place, it's a wonder my head is on straight! But despite all the craziness, this is my life, and I wouldn't change it for the world!

1 comment:

Beyond Willpower said...

gluten is the deveel. :P